MacBook Troubleshooting Steps
Initial Troubleshooting Steps
- Make sure your laptop is turned on and open
- If possible, update your computer to the latest software
- Update DisplayLink by uninstalling the current version and installing the Mac Catalina Beta 2 download
- Reset Displaylink by switching between the mirror and extend display mode
- Plug the SideTrak directly into all ports on your computer (USB-A and/or USB-C) and wait 2.5 minutes after each port
- Try the SideTrak on another computer (preferably a computer with a different operating system)
- Test the SideTrak with a different USB-C or USB-A cord if you have an extra
If you are still experiencing connectivity issues, we recommend completing the following system preference updates.
System Preference Updates
Some Macs have stricter security policies that require a few extra DisplayLink installation steps. Follow these steps to connect to your SideTrak!
Note: Be sure that you have installed DisplayLink within the past 30 minutes. If this is not the case, you will need to uninstall and reinstall the software.
Open your security settings (Settings Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General)
Unlock and authenticate security changes if your device requires it.
Find "System software developer DisplayLink Corp was blocked from loading" and click "Allow"
Restart your computer and plug in your SideTrak!
Screen Recording Permissions
macOS Catalina 10.15 requires the user to permit "Screen Recording" in order for DisplayLink devices to work properly. The message is generated by the OS and the screen is not actually being recorded by DisplayLink. Approving it enables the DisplayLink driver to access the pixels it needs to render a mirrored or extended screens, and send the pixels over USB from your computer to the DisplayLink display. It does not send any data or pixels back to DisplayLink.
To approve the permission, please follow these steps:
2. Reboot your system.
3. Open System Preferences.
5. Go to Privacy.
9. Click on the Lock again to save changes.